July 29, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Earlier today, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Education Rob Fleming held a joint news announcement regarding the back to school plan for 2020/21.
Starting in the fall, school districts across the province will move to Stage 2 of B.C.’s Education Restart Plan. Stage 2 will enable most students in grades K to 12 to return to school on a full-time basis starting on September 8th, 2020.
To ensure a safe return to the classroom for students and staff:
- The Province is investing $45.6 million, allocated across all school districts, to support measures such as increased cleaning of high-contact surfaces, increased number of hand-hygiene stations, and the availability of re-usable masks (on request).
- Students will be organized into cohorts or learning groups. Learning groups are groups of students and staff who remain together throughout the school year and who primarily interact with each other.
I can appreciate you have questions about what September will look like for your child, and I commit to providing you with as much clarity as I can. You can expect to hear from the District over the summer as we work on operationalizing the safe return to school for our students and staff. As required of all school districts, we will be submitting our plans to the Ministry of Education for review and approval by August 21st. These plans will be publicly shared no later than August 26th.
In the interim, I would direct you to the following resources for more information:
- Ministry of Education News Release which includes backgrounders on health and safety and learning groups.
- COVID-19: Return to School website which provides details on Stage 2 of B.C.’s Education Restart Plan, including information on health and safety guidelines and learning groups.
- COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K to 12 School Settings. A guidance document to help schools maintain a safe and healthy school environment.
As we plan for the fall, know that the health and safety of our students and staff remain a top priority for the North Vancouver School District. We look forward to sharing more details with you in the weeks ahead and welcoming all students back to the classroom in September.
Superintendent of Schools
Translation Options To view this update in a language option of your choice, please review and enable the message translation options available through your email provider.